Santa Cruz, California, October 28th, 2014

Santa Cruz, California, October 28th, 2014

Monday, December 3, 2012

Spent like someone else's money.

The last few weeks have been LONG.
I got home from Bolivia on November 3rd. 4th. Whatever, I got home that weekend.
It took me 10 days to recover from the exhaustion and the tummy bug.
Then I began a re-finishing project for a charity auction that our son's hockey team is obligated to participate in and donate to. 
Was that a misplaced preposition?

What.Ev. Er.




So, on top of everything else, I worked on this:







It was a scratched up, dirt stained, ribbon mahogany, 120 year old Victorian mess.








It needed a huge amount of work, but not too huge. I've seen worse.


 Like last year's auction project. Two matching bird's eye maple pieces. That white glare on the top wasn't glare. It was water damage.



Kind of makes me want to cry.










But, after 45 hours (give or take...)
This is what was sold at this year's auction.


For 500$.
The team gets all the proceeds.



And what about last year's pieces?
See that hand carved scroll work?
That took a month.



They all right as well.
(950$)


So, now I can breathe. And clean my house. And get caught up on all the laundry...

And start scouting antique auctions for next year's project!!





18 comments:

  1. Those are truly beautiful pieces of work. Now, don't go through any withdrawl symptoms from the varnish, okay? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy cow, those are amazing. I could never, ever do something like that. I'm just not crafty or good with my hands. My mom was, but I definitely didn't inherit that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. JENNIFER! Last year's piece--the water damage--oh my word...

    Spectacular, the both of them. I think you should've gotten over 1000$ for the recent piece. But then again, maybe Canadian $ are worth far more than American, right? Grin.

    Great job and now REST!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whah thankyou!
      And nope, just a teensy bit more.
      And yes, REST.

      Delete
  4. Wow.

    Next time you're in New Mexico YOU ARE NOT LEAVING until Barb's dresser gets refinished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks !
      What kind of wood is Barb's dresser? And hello, sounds like the perfect vacation to me!!

      Delete
  5. Whoa, beautiful, each project! You are one talented lady. And is it silly that I got a little kick out of the way Canadians write amounts with the dollar sign after the number? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's not silly, you're just not used to seeing it done properly. ;P

      Delete
  6. Jennifer,

    Wow, you have a lot of patience and talent! I could never do that. I take it that was Canadian Dollars and not American dollars.

    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thankyou Lori! Actually, once you get a feel for it, it really isn't that hard. Just time consuming. Yes, in Canadian $, which are almost the same as the US $ now. SO it did really well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, wow, wow! Such beautiful furniture, Jennifer! Inspiring! Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gwen! I grow quite attached to the projects and was a nervous wreck during both auctions. Our friends bought the sideboard/credenza and at least I can visit it.

      Delete
  9. A.Ma.Zing.

    You blow my mind, woman. Wow. Wow.

    Hugs,
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I'm impressed! Very neat pieces Jen! I'll bet you've had some really amazing pieces over the years.
    I've done an old table, two dressers, and my grandmother's sewing machine, but its been years ago. I love the Victorian piece. Didn't you want to keep it??!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi ANne! Everything you see was for a charity auction. I actually have NO room in the house for the sideboard. It was huge. But I do have a dresser like the bird's eye one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! You do wonderful work, Jennifer. Those pieces you restored are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely lovely. What about the piano?

    ReplyDelete